Last year (2019), the DVS was given a metal box containing handwritten records from Datchet’s Working Men’s Club dating back to the 1880s. They came from the family of David and Barbara Jefferson who passed away last year having lived in Datchet since 1964.
The box and its papers were on show at DVS’s pre-Christmas event. ‘Old Maps, Paintings & Photographs‘. The records are currently being transcribed, scanned and photographed before we eventually send them on to the Record Office and we’re publishing details below. We hope there will be another opportunity for residents to view these documents when we are able to reschedule meetings. In the meantime, we will post details of our discoveries on these pages.
A brief history
The WMC was built on land given by the Duke of Buccleuch in 1881. it was built by public subscription and intended to contribute to the welfare of the working classes; to provide a place where educational and improving leisure activities were available.
In 1887, Lady Needham of Datchet House provided another room at the back as a village hall. This played a central role in the life of the village until recent times. The ground floor is now the library, with a police outpost upstairs, giving the original building a new community purpose in this prominent location overlooking The Green.
Inside the box
The box included the following documents. Please click on the links below to read transcriptions or see the original documents.
With thanks to Harry Clasper for transcribing Captain Crease’s History of The Trust
For more information about the history of the WMC, please see Janet Kennish’s Datchet History website: http://datchethistory.org.uk/streetshouses/south-greens/village_school/