- OLD PAINTINGS Read more about two, newly-discovered paintings of Datchet, the oldest found so far. Click here for details.
- WAR MEMORIAL RESTORATION Click here to find out more about the recent work.
- NEOLITHIC CAUSEWAYED ENCLOSURE A major 5,500-year-old ceremonial gathering place has been partially uncovered at Riding Court Farm. Click here for details.
- THE MEN MISSING FROM THE WWI MEMORIAL The DVS has discovered a number of men with Datchet connections who died in WWI and who are not remembered on the village's War Memorial or on the War Roll. Click here to find out more.
- DATCHET'S RIVERSIDE New photographs of the refurbished riverside. Plus, read more about the history of the riverside and factors affecting development. Click here for details.
- RECENT DVS EVENTS & EXHIBITIONS Photos of all our recent events are in the Gallery section of this website.
What does the DVS do?
In 1995, the Datchet Village Society was formed to help preserve the special character of Datchet and to encourage interest in its history and environment. Over the years it has grown in size and there are now 140 members. In 2016 the DVS celebrated its 21st anniversary. It is chaired by local historian, Janet Kennish.
The focus is primarily on Datchet but also includes its locality and historical connections. The DVS organises talks, exhibitions, guided walks and visits to places of interest for members, and publishes Datchet-related books, leaflets, and cards. We are involved with local projects, such as the archaeological excavations at Southlea, and have some exciting research underway about Datchet in WWI. We're the first port of call for anyone wanting to know more about their family history in Datchet, or about the history of the village generally. The Society also monitors local planning policy, conservation and development issues, and is contributing to Datchet's Neighbourhood Plan. Regular updates about our work and events are posted on this website and a members' newsletter is published two or three times a year.
New members are always welcome. Join us here.
DVS Committee Members 2018-19
Chairman: Janet Kennish
Honorary Treasurer: Adrian Needham
Honorary Secretary: Marjorie Clasper
Membership Secretary: Sandra Needham
Photography & Archive: Adrian Giddins
PR & Marketing: Alison Crampin
Committee Members: Pamela Barnes-Taylor, Paul Bonnici-Waddingham, Glenda Croft, Lesley Giddins
Please browse through these pages, tell your friends about this website, and let us know what you think. Your comments are very welcome; whether as contributions or corrections to current pages, suggestions for topics, or queries about any aspect of the village society and its activities.
All rights reserved. The images on this website may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the written permission of Datchet Village Society. To request permission, please contact us via the Get in touch page.